Spicy Penne alla Vodka
I am sure we have all heard of the famous New York City restaurant that serves a spicy penne alla vodka that is to die for! Well, I am here to help you make it at home - especially for whoever your Valentine is. Super simple and delicious - you can whip this up in no time to impress your loved ones.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 pound dried pasta penne or rigatoni
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons L'Amante Pepper Paste or more to taste
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3/4 cup heavy crea
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Graza 'Drizzle' Finishing Olive Oil for serving
- In a large skillet, saucier, or dutch oven over medium heat add olive oil and wait until oil is shimmering. Add in onion, garlic, a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and stir occasionally until onions are very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add dried pasta. Cook until al dente according to package instructions. Reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water right before draining. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Once onions are almost translucent, add in tomato paste and pepper paste. Stir to combine and stir almost constantly until tomato paste develops a rich dark red color.
- Add in vodka and using a wooden spoon, stir and scrape pan to release any flavor that is sticking to pan. Turn heat to low.
- Once pan has cooled slightly, add in heavy cream and using the wooden spoon ‘whisk’ together to make a light red, creamy sauce.
- Add in pasta and toss, adjust consistency with extra pasta water. Taste and season.
- To plate, add pasta to large entree bow, top with parmesan cheese and a drizzle of good quality olive oil. Enjoy!