Summer Salads: French Potato Salad
I do not like creamy-based things, I just don’t! Now I’m not going to say no to a bowl of mac and cheese or some fresh gelato, but I believe that mayo or anything creamy like that does not belong anywhere near potatoes, tuna, etc. Enter stage left this French-style potato salad. It has all of the adjectives that I like - lemon-y, herb-y, and fresh. Not only is this potato salad picnic and party friendly because it’s sans-mayo (no need to worry about mayo sitting in the sun and making your friends sick!), but it also gets better with time, so it’s great to make in advance. Pro tip: make sure to have your dressing ready to go when the potatoes are done, drizzle it over when they are still hot and the dressing will seep into the potatoes and give them great flavor.- Claire
- kosher salt
- 1 pound Yukon gold or new potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1.5 inch dice
- 1/2 pound haricot verts or other slim green beans cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 recipe Lemon-y Vinaigrette see recipe below
- 1 cup fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives, etc.) finely chopped
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season well with kosher salt. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add in haricot verts and cook until tender, about another 2 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice or oil as needed.
- Drain into a large colander, lightly shake to remove excess moisture. Transfer potatoes and haricot verts to a large serving bowl and drizzle dressing over warm potatoes and green beans. Toss to combine. Let cool slightly before adding in the chopped herbs (a hot potato will wilt any tender herbs!). Season with salt and pepper and add more dressing as needed.