Cake Cones with Ovaltine Frosting
Picture this: summer break, you are at the pool with your friends to celebrate a birthday. What does someone bring out to enjoy? Flat-bottomed cones filled with a cupcake and topped with frosting and sprinkles. All is right in the world. Through these recipes, I want to invoke a sense of nostalgia and appreciation that sometimes simple is best! Make these with your kids or for your next summer pool party, and enjoy!
Vanilla & Strawberry Cake Cones
- 24 Flat-Bottomed Cake Cones
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 6 eggs divided
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- rainbow sprinkles for garnish
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room-temperature
- 1 cup Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream plus more depending on texture
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish, or any baking dish with tall sides. Line up ice cream cones to touch in baking dish.
- In two large mixing bowls, prepare cake mix as according to directions on back of box with the addition of 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract in each bowl of batter.
- To fill strawberry cones: using a liquid measuring cup, or anything with a spout - pour strawberry batter into cone only filling about 3/4 of the cone.
- To fill vanilla cones: using a liquid measuring cup, or anything with a pour spout - pour in vanilla cake mix and add a spoon full of jam to the top. Using a toothpick or a skewer, swirl together jam and cake batter.
- Line up cake cones so they are fulling standing up, and bake until cake is baked through - about 20-25 minutes. Use a tester to get all the way to the bottom of the cone - if they are not baked through and the tops are browning, cover with aluminum foil until baked through. Let cool
- To make frosting: using either a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, add in butter, ovaltine, salt, and cocoa powder - mix to combine. Slowly add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until you have a whipped frosting. Adjust consistency as needed with heavy cream.
- To decorate: add about 2 tablespoons of frosting to the top of each cake cone and spread using an offset spatula or knife. Garnish with rainbow sprinkles.