Banana Bread French Toast
I first had Banana Bread French Toast when I was at a Dude Ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was blown away by their idea to use something straightforward use and turn it up to 10,000. This was also the place I first had Bison meat, so obviously, R Lazy S Dude Ranch opened up my tastebuds to things I never though were possible.Standard French Toast recipes add sugar to the egg mixture, however this bread is sweet enough that it does not need the added sugar. P.S. You can find my favorite Banana Bread recipe here. —Claire
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more for serving
- 6-8 slices banana bread thickly sliced
- maple syrup for serving
- powdered sugar for serving
- In a shallow dish, add eggs, milk or half and half, and vanilla and whisk thoroughly to combine. You want it to be homogenous mixture.
- Add one slice of bread to the egg mixture, allow to sit for 20-30 seconds and flip to let the other side to saturate. Preheat a griddle or nonstick skillet to medium heat. Add one tablespoon of butter to the pan, and let melt. Add pieces of bread to griddle. After 1 minute on one side, flip and repeat. Look for a nice, golden brown crust. Repeat with remaining slices of bread, adding another tablespoon of butter for each round.
- Add to a plate, garnish with syrup and powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Griddled Banana Bread
I’ve made the second recipe, Griddled Banana Bread, on repeat the past month. Testing banana bread recipes left me with lots of banana bread, no surprise! One night, I was out with friends celebrating one of my dear friends moving states. We came back to my apartment to have our last sleepover - she was one of my roommates in college, it was like old times! I pulled out my griddle, added copious amounts of butter, sliced two pieces of bread, and got the pieces nice and crispy on both sides. Next, added a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and a generous sprinkle of flaky salt. We were both floored! Not only do I crave this combination on the daily, but I also think about my wonderful friend, Hayley and how much fun it is to have a sleepover as an adult. —Claire
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 slices banana bread
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- flaky salt for serving
- Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Add slices of banana bread to hot skillet, and flip once the first side has a nice crust. Repeat on the other side.
- Lay the slices down on to a plate, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and top with flaky salt.