Weeknight Favorites: Cherry Tomato & Chicken Pasta
This meal was a staple in my house growing up. Simple enough for kids to enjoy, complex enough that adults don’t feel short changed, and quick enough to whip up on a Wednesday night. This meal leans in on some seasonal produce that can also be found in ‘off season’ months. Feel free to substitute or change any ingredients - this can be meatless, add in sun-dried tomatoes, maybe even some spinach! Hopefully this becomes a classic in your household.Enjoy!Claire
- 1 16 oz box penne pasta
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 8-10 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar plus more to taste
- Finishing olive oil such as Graza Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons basil chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- red pepper flakes optional, for garnish
- Fill a large pot with water and put on to boil. Season with kosher salt.
- Slice chicken width-wise into short, thin strips (smaller chicken lets it cook quickly!). Leave sliced chicken on cutting board and season strips with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in a few tablespoons of olive oil and let heat until shimmering.
- Once oil is hot, add in chicken and let sit, undisturbed, in an even layer.
- While chicken is cooking, using a clean cutting board and knife slice cherry tomatoes in half and set aside. Trim asparagus either by breaking the stems and their natural point, or slice off about 2 inches of the woody ends. Slice asparagus into 1 inch pieces, set aside.
- If water is boiling, add in pasta and cook according to directions. Drain and set aside once al dente.
- Using tongs or a wooden spoon, flip chicken over to brown on the other side.
- Once chicken is finished remove from pan. Add in more olive oil and add in tomatoes and asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Once the cherry tomatoes are slightly soft and asparagus is a bright green color, add in garlic and mix to combine.
- Add in pasta and chicken and toss to combine. Add in a few splashes of olive oil and balsamic, toss pasta to coat. Sprinkle on basil and mix.
- Sprinkle on goat cheese onto the warm pasta and serve. Garnish with red pepper flakes.